------Home---- ----About Me---- ----Lots Of Links---- ----Recipes---- ----Reviews---- ----Resources---- ----My Photo Blog---- ----Contact Me----

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garden Spaghetti Sauce

  
This homemade spaghetti sauce is a long time family favorite and so easy to make!  It also works great for lasagna or other pasta dishes, and it freezes well.


Garden Spaghetti Sauce
I don't really measure these ingredients exactly, but I don't think you can mess it up very easily.  Sometimes I leave out the zuccini, mushrooms, and/or olives to save money or because I don't have them on hand, but it still comes out tasting great either way.  I think it's a wonderful way to sneak all the veggies in for family members that might not be so willing to eat them if they knew they were there!  This makes a big pot, but you can freeze the leftover sauce to use later.

All of the following ingredients I chop finely in my food processor:
2-3 carrots
2-3 stalks celery
1 medium or large onion
1 small zucchini
1 can olives (optional)

1 16 oz. package mushrooms (cut in small slices)
3 large cans tomato sauce
1 large can petite diced or crushed tomatoes
lemon juice (optional)
bragg aminos (optional)
oregano
basil
thyme
garlic powder


Sautee all of the veggies in some olive oil in a large pot.

When the veggies get close to being tender, add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.

Next, add all of the spices and the lemon juice* and bragg aminos*.  I don't really measure these, but you can't mess it up very easily.  Start out with a little and add more to taste.  You'll get to be a pro at just how much to put in!

Stir until all mixed together.

Let simmer for 1-2 hours.

Enjoy!

*I don't always add these, but I do like the additional flavor they add.  A little goes a long way!

1 comment:

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

I can attest to the yummyness!!! What a fond memory with dad making this sauce!