------Home---- ----About Me---- ----Lots Of Links---- ----Recipes---- ----Reviews---- ----Resources---- ----My Photo Blog---- ----Contact Me----

Friday, March 18, 2011

Cloth diapers, here we come

This is the second week of cloth diapering with Micah, and we are loving it!  I have always wanted to do this, but was overwhelmed by the thought at first.  It just seemed like a lot more mess and time to have to deal with.  Plus it is a pretty big investment at first, although of course you do save a lot of money in the long run.

I did try cloth diapering for a short time with my twins, but they were already older and with all that I had going on at the time, I just didn't really get into it.  I hadn't purchased any cloth diapers since my sister had given me some of her prefolds to try, so I wasn't really out any investment wise.  But the thoughts lingered in my mind, that I should give it another shot.  Plus if they used to do it back in the day, surely it was doable, right? 

During my pregnancy with Micah a friend gave me a bunch of her old cloth prefold diapers and diaper covers, and I was determined to try again.  I'm so glad I did!  Contrary to what people tend to think, it really isn't that much more work, or that much more mess.  I only wash a load of diapers every few days, and when I change a diaper I just throw it right into the pail, no swishing or rinsing required.  Of course as my baby starts eating solids I do realize I will probably have to dump the poopy diapers into the toilet, but that really isn't that much more work either.

If you're wondering if cloth diapering is really worth it, here a a few reasons to give it a try:
- it saves money (disposables cost a lot)
- is better for the environment (less diapers in the landfills)
- is better for baby (no chemicals or dyes or synthetic materials on your baby's bottom)
- less leaks (I've had no leaks so far...better than with disposables)
- less diaper rash (who wouldn't rather have soft cloth next to their skin?)

3 comments:

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

You amaze me sis! Glad you tried them and that they worked!

Amy said...

He looks so cure porting his little diaper! I am so glad it worked so well for you! Perhaps my next one won't be as sensitive as Jayce (fingers crossed!!!!) because I really loved using them. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

...and they are super cute!